Mr. Birchler's Science Class
Mr. Gagnon's Social Studies
Mrs. Bullard's Reading Class
Tuesday: 12/3 Literature Circle Reading DUE (reading in book is homework -- discussion and journal entries are completed in class on due date) Book Talk Brainstorming
Thursday: 12/5 - IRS w/ Reflection
Friday: 12/6 - Literature Circle Reading and Journal DUE
Mrs. Hays' Communication Arts Class
Monday: Persuasive Strategies
Tuesday: Introduce Christmas PRESENTation Project
Wednesday: Begin Research/Read "A Christmas Carol"
Thursday: TRAP Research
Friday: Library Research (Benchmark Week 1 Due)
Mrs. Brown's English Language Arts Classes- Week of December 2-6
Part 3: The Author Project Board
Goal: To create an interesting presentation about a favorite author that can be shared with peers in order to persuade them to want to read books by that author.
12/4-12/11 Step 1: Author Information Card- This should be similar to a baseball card only you will just use the front of the card. It should include the following:
· A picture of your author
· Author’s name
· A slogan that gives an idea about the type of writing your author does
· Basic information about him/her that include a brief description of his/her accomplishments.
· You may use computer programs to create this information card
o Big Huge Labs (as demonstrated in class)
o Word processing program
o Publishing program, etc.
· See scoring guide for specific instructions and example
· Check for completion on December 10-11
12/4-12/11 Step 2: New Book Cover- You will design a NEW/DIFFERENT cover for a book that you have read by your author.
· You must include the book title and author’s name.
· You may use computer programs to create this information card such as Big Huge Labs (as demonstrated in class), a word processing program, publishing program, etc.
· See scoring guide for specific requirements and example
· Check for completion on December 10-11
12/5-12/11 Step 3: Formal Letter to Your Author
· See “Letters about Literature” contest instructions and scoring guide.
· Ready to type on 12/10
· We will be working in the Library on 12/10 and 12/11
· Final Copy will be checked on 12/12
· In order to be entered in to the “Letters about Literature” contest, entry form must be completed accurately, and turned in before Winter Break-December 19.
12/11-12/13 Step 4: Create Project Board and Prepare for Presentation
· The project board should be created on a presentation board that can stand up on its own.
· These projects will be displayed in the Library when complete. Your board should be visually appealing and neat.
· Your goal should be to get other students to want to read and look at your board.
· You will include all parts of your project on this board.
o author essay
o author information card with picture of your author
o book cover of a book your author wrote
o author letter
o a catchy title
o labels for each part
o any other items that will make your project board visually appealing
o bibliography of cited sources
· Use the scoring guide for specific requirements
· Create notecards of the important points about your author that you will share during your class presentation
· Practice presenting your author information for friends, family, or the mirror
· Boards will be checked for completion on Monday, December 16/17
12/18 Step 5: Author Project Student Presentations
· You will present the important things you have learned about your author
· Share about the books by your author that you have read
· Tell why you think other students should read his/her books
· Time limit: 2 minutes
· See scoring guide for specific requirements
· Presentation in class on December 18.
**Please return signed by December 6, 2013! _______/5 POINTS
Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Independent Reading Structure, complete daily logs, Library, characterization activity
Independent Reading Structure, complete daily Logs, Scat Activity 3 Due, finish characterization activity.
Independent Reading Structure, complete daily Logs, Vocabulary/Scat Activity 4 Scat Chapter 10, Prediction sheet over Scat Chapter 10. Independent reading log 11 due.
Thursday: Independent Reading Structure complete daily Logs. Scat Chapter 11, Scat, Prediction sheet
Friday: Independent Reading Structure complete daily Logs. Scat Chapter 12, Prediction sheet 12
Social Studies Class
Test, projects due
Vikings Crossword and Vocab.
Warriors/Knights/feudalism/ present projects